Situated amid woodland, the quiet and peaceful sanctuary of St. Margaret’s Parish Church is at the heart of the farming community based round the village of Wormhill and the larger community at Peak Dale. The church was originally built as a chapel in 1273, at the request of inhabitants, when Wormhill was part of Tideswell parish and an important settlement within the Royal Forest of the Peak. A sketch from a 19th century manuscript, which can currently be viewed at the back of the church, shows the chapel with a ‘saddleback’ top to the tower.
In 1859, Wormhill became a separate parish and in 1863/4 the, by now dilapidated, church was rebuilt with the generous help of the Bagshawe family. All that remains of the previous building is the lower part of the tower and part of the north wall of the nave. The present unusual ‘helmet’ steeple was added to the tower when it was heightened, one of only two in England. The peal of 6 bells is still being rung, and for many years was the lightest ringing peal of 6 bells in England. Beautiful wood carving by the Hunstone family of Tideswell, Pollit organ and stained glass memorial windows can be enjoyed. Rev. William Bagshawe, the ‘Apostle of the Peak’, preached his first sermons here and James Brindley, the 18th century mill and canal engineer was born and baptised in the parish.
St Margaret’s is once again part of Tideswell Parish whilst still retaining its status as a Parish Church. An evening service is held every Sunday at 6.30pm except on the 5th Sunday in the month. The church hosts social events such as exhibitions during Wormhill Well-Dressings Week (Late Summer Bank Holiday week) and a well dressing is sited in the churchyard.